Hi Jon,

I have a tool for 49mm and 52mm lenses.
It is a metal cylinder with a gum rubber ring inside, works great.
Before I got that I used a wooden disc cut slightly smaller than the filter
size and a piece of the new non-slip rubber shelf liner.
Not as convenient but worked OK.
The trick is to get a "grip" without having to exert so much pressure as to
jam the threads, this is self defeating.
If you'd like to see a pic of the tool to get an idea of what to make let me
know.

Don