John Coyle returned from the Outback long enough to write:

"Hi guys: some friends are going to Washington and New York late September
on
holidays/vacation - any suggestions for must-see sights and restaurants?
Any advice gratefully received, passed on and acknowledged!"

John,

Washington D.C. or state?

If D.C., I recommend the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. It's the one place
I can think of that (almost) everyone would find fascinating. The entire
Smithsonian complex is awesome IMO. Some of the natural history museum is
great too. The dinosaurs, Hope Diamond etc are a lot of fun. I've never been
a big fan of stuffed animals but the rest is very good.

This is the Smithsonian website:

http://www.si.edu/

I hope this helps.

Tom Reese