Hi all,

Here's a question I've been thinking about lately.  I finally found a
dedicated flash module for my Sunpak 444D flash, and I'm thinking of some
things to try with my TTL-capable body (an MZ-50).  I'll get an answer for
myself with some upcoming experiments, but thought I'd ask the group anyway.

We're all familiar with the limitations of the ZX/MZ-50 when using pre-A
lenses.  Regular TTL metering works properly as long as the lens aperture
ring is set to wide-open aperture, and pictures are underexposed if the
aperture ring is stopped down by the user.  This is the case when one is
metering and exposing under *ambient* lighting , but it occurred to me that
shooting under TTL flash metering might be a bit different.

So here's the slight twist.  Suppose I want to shot some photos with a pre-A
lens under very dim (or perhaps completely dark) ambient lighting.  Perhaps
an extremely high-magnification macro shot, for instance.  Instead of using
ambient light and exposing for a LONG time, however, I'm going to use an
off-camera TTL flash.  The MZ/ZX-50 will recognize my flash and set its
shutter speed to X-sync.  What happens if I now decide to manually stop down
the aperture ring to give me good depth of field?  I'm assuming that
regardless of where I choose to set the aperture ring, the body will simply
keep the flash illuminated until it sees that enough light has entered the
lens.  Seems like the open-aperture reading -- before the flash fires --
should be totally irrelevant in this case, and it shouldn't matter where I
set the lens aperture ring.  Is my assumption correct?  This seems like it
would be the "correct" way to design a TTL flash metering circuit.  Anyone
tried this sort of thing?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY