I know that's true, but I'm saying they have all that image circle to play with, and it looks to me that the mirror is the same size, so why not do a little playing around with the margin like I mentioned?

Peter J. Alling wrote:

The *ist-D viewfinder is designed from the ground up to show the APS sized image. It's not just a masked down finder such as you'll find in Nikon and Canon mid to low end offerings. If you ever compared the two side by side you would see the difference. Based on that alone Pentax should sell a whole lot of them.

Gonz wrote:

Since the *istD is using only a portion of the full 35mm frame, I wonder why they dont do something like engrave a tiny grove showing where 100% is on the viewfinder, but cover something like 110% of the frame, so you can see where you are cutting if off in context. I don't know that the issues around alignment would be, probably the same as you mentioned. But maybe if they had a simple means of alignment with this technique when it was built using some type of fixture, it might not be so bad? I'm just musing here...

rg

John Francis wrote:

I don't quite buy that. What determines the size of the viewfinder image is the
size of the frame the screen sits in (as long as we are talking +/- a
millimeter). Make that frame a little bit larger and you have a 100%
viewfinder. Of course, all elements that attach to the mirror box have to be
'accurate' but I don't see why that would be so difficult here.

Ah, but that's precisely what *is* difficult. It's not just the size of the
viewfinder - it's position the boundaries accurately.

It's easy(-ish) to make a 95% viewfinder, because you only have to position the
viewfinder region to +/- one mm. Make the frame a little bit larger, though,
and you don't have a 100% viewfinder; if you're off by that same 1mm you might
have a viewfinder that showed 97.5% of the image, cropping off 2.5% on the left,
and showing an extra 2.5% on the right that wasn't part of the true image area.
This would be bad. If you can see it through the viewfinder, people expect it to
show up on the image. The extra 5% allows for a certain amount of inaccuracy.
To get a true 100% viewfinder (no more, no less) would require at least an order
of magnitude more accuracy - everything would have to be aligned to a precision
of 0.1mm or better. That would require a camera considerably more rigid, and
manufactured to much closer tolerances, than consumer-level prices can support.