Hi,

While it's nice to be though of as being right, I'm not quite sure what I
was right about.  Perhaps that metal lens hoods offer better protection in
a fall?  I'm not sure I agree with that premise.  A fall is a pretty random
act, and numerous things - surface upon which the object is dropped, angle,
speed, weight of object, resiliency of the object, to name a few, all play
a part in the resultant damage.  While I ~believe~ that a screwed in (on?)
metal hood offers the most protection, there have been those who swear they
were lucky because their camera had a rubber hood, or that a plastic hood
might better absorb shock.

Regardless, I like such hoods because they seem more stable on the camera
than plastic clip-on hoods, and the threads allow for more varied filter
use (although these days filters are rarely on my lenses), and because,
with few exceptions, I find the look and feel of rubber hoods to be cheap
and flimsy, for the most part.  However, I've a gorgeous Vivitar rubber
hood here that is just wonderful - the rubber is firm, the attaching ring
is strong, and the hood is of a good size for the lenses for which it was
designed.

Over the past couple of years I've accumulated a number of round metal
hoods that are of a diameter that accept the yellow plastic lids from
Hershey's syrup cans, Jelly Belly cans, and other such containers.  These
caps slip over the lens hood, affording protection to the lens while
allowing the hood to remain in place.  The caps are an inexpensive
alternative to more expensive caps that essentially do the same thing.  For
those who may find my description a bit vague, you can see such a setup
here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sbelinkoff/cancap.jpg

Shel Belinkoff
"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

completely surprised to find a parking space on the street and got out of
the car to drop my Super Program from chest height directly on the A50/1.4
lens (thought I had the strap around my neck)!  The whole thing landed on
the concrete sidewalk, but on the metal lens hood.  It was pretty well
destroyed, but the camera and lens are still fine today.

> I don't use the plastic clip-on hoods if I can avoid them.
>
> Regards,  Bob S.
>
> Shel wrote:
> Those plastic clip on hoods may work, but they lack the beauty and
craftsmanship of the all metal Takumar hoods.  They are like a clip-on bow
tie vs a silk cravat or a hand painted Countess Mara tie.  Dave, if you've
never seen the dedicated Tak 35mm hood, or the one for the 20mm lens, or
some of the other early, all metal beauties, you don't know what you're
missing. A great lens deserves a great lens hood <vbg>