Thanks for the info, Ken. I have to admit, though, that this kind of
ambiguity isn't discouraging me at all from thinking about moving over to
Canon, at least for long-lens photography. My son's 300/4 IS lens works
spendidly with both Canon TCs and the literature is perfectly
straightforward about compatibility issues.

With Pentax, it seems like you have to undertake a major research project to
find out what's compatible with what. And I'm still unclear on why my Pentax
300/4.5+2X-S combination is so poor. And, no, it's not bad technique, as I'm
able to get perfectly sharp pictures with a similar combination of Canon
equipment even with IS turned off.