On 21/9/04, Gonz, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Actually, they do allow you to do just about anything that can be put
>into the R/W memory.  The ROM is off limits for obvious reasons.  But
>there is enough functionality in the R/W to replace much of the ROM if
>you really want.  PDA's are another area where you can pretty much
>convert it to another completely different appliance if you want, and
>people have.  You can even turn your PDA into a pretty sophisticated TV
>remote control if youre so inclined.

Hey, that's how I hacked my DVD player! We have a region 2 DVD player
hooked up to the telly and the bugger wouldn't play American DVDs (region
1) so I found a website that told me how to hack it with numbers but the
handset wouldn't cut it. Blow me but there it said I could use a PDA with
infrared - and what do I have in my pocket? A Palm 515. Downloaded some
software, pointed the Palm at the telly and the penguin on top exploded.
No, I mean the thing turned into a region-free DVD player!

Cooooool.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__