It is my understanding it stands for "focal length".
In a 100mm f/2.8 lens you would divide 100mm by a factor of 2.8
(focal_length/2.8) to get 35.71428mm as the maximum aperture opening
diameter.
As has been argued here before "f/stop" and "aperture" are two very
different things.
A 100mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/2.8 have the same maximum "f/stop" (ratio) but
the 50mm "aperture" (actual opening size) is 1/2 the diameter of the 100mm.
So f/2.8 isn't an aperture value but a ratio, the higher the ratio (100/2.8
being higher than 100/4.0) the "brighter" (larger maximum aperture) the
lens.
However, <grin> since a 50mm f/2.0 lens (25mm aperture) and a 100mm f/2.0
lens (50mm aperture) produce the same result in exposure at the film plane
(for a constant shutter speed) the two terms tend to get used as meaning the
same.
It gets more involved in true "telephoto" lenses where lense is physically
shorter than the focal length.
The "actual" aperture size may or may not follow the above rule, now it
becomes an "effective" aperture size.
The important fact is that if the proper exposure is 1/125th second at f/5.6
then this holds for any lens focal length or design.

don <whew!>