"David A. Mann" wrote:

> 1- optical performance

It performs quite well at 1200 dpi, but the 2400 dpi interpolated mode
is...uh...well, kind of stinky.  I don't see much of a difference
between a 1200dpi scan scaled up in Photoshop and one interpolated in
the scanner to 2400dpi.

I'm quite happy with its sharpness.  Occassionally I'll get noise in
extra vivid reds when scanning from negatives.

> 2- scanning speed

It's fast, especially at low resolutions.  It's much much faster than my
Polaroid Sprintscan at comparable resolutions.

> 3- what's it like for printed matter?

Like scans from magazines or scans from photographic prints?  From
prints it is quite nice, but you REALLY have to keep that glass clean.
I don't care much for the software's built-in descreening or sharpening
tools.  I'm using the Mac software, so the PC software could be
different.  Other than those tools, the software is quite workable and intuitive.

> 4- I can see the 3.0 dmax is pretty low: is this a problem?  I'm probably
> stuck with it though as it's the only affordable medium/large-format slide
> scanner available (I don't want to use a flatbed with transparency adaptor).

The only trouble I've ever run into is with Scala transparencies with
really rich, detailed blacks.  Everything else has been fine, and in
performance it actually seems to be better at darkest detail than the
higher-spec'ed Sprintscan.

> 5- I'll be using it on a PC and I'd also like opinions on its driver and whatever
> software comes bundled with it (I probably won't use it though).

If it's the same as the Mac package, it is very well laid out and intuitive.

> 6- Do you think I could easily adapt the 6x7 carrier to hold my panoramic
> 35mm slides? :)

I dunno, I sandwich stuff in glass mounts. :)  You should be able to do it.

> 7- Does it come with a SCSI adaptor or do I have to buy this separately?

Mine is SCSI.

> 8- What's it like for colour negs?

It's pretty good at getting you to the ballpark of colour-correctness.
What I do like is the ability to create your own film profiles quickly
and easily in the scanning software.  As I said before, the only colour
issue I've had with the scanner is with supersaturated reds from colour
neg getting a bit noisy at times.  If I encounter the problem, I usually
just shift the scan over to be a bit green until the noise goes away,
make the scan and then shift it back in Photoshop.

Did I miss anything? :)

-Aaron