Indeed!  Back around 1969-70 I took a train from Shelby, Montana to San
Francisco.  The high point was going over the Rockies at night.  In those
days one could ride outside on an observation deck on the last car of the
train.  Well, maybe it wasn't an official deck, but you could still ride
outside.  I'll never forget the wonderful experience that was, the full
moon, the sound of the rails, the cool, crisp air ...  I don't think one
can ride outside any more ;-((

Shel