Wendy,

This is a typical image where RAW would have made the post-processing
much easier. The RAW would have used more bits to describe each step
in the tonal range, and thus giving you at least half a stop more
latitude, possibly up to two stops. I don't know the maths there, but
from experience I know that the extra latitude can save the day.

In this image, the tonal range describing both the sky and the shadows
suffer.

What I found is that there were enough tones in the sky to render some
clouds, but that tone banding became _very_ evident. My suggested
trick to remove this is to convert the image to 16 bit, and then use
the Blur tool to smoothen the bands. When converted back to 8 bit, the
recalculation of the tones brings a bit of the banding back, but only
to a fraction of what it was before the Blurring.

The Dark Side Of the Dog was more difficult to improve. There are some
shadows in there that are just totally black. I wasn't able to extract
any further detail there...:-(   - But at least I managed to bring out
some more of the nice brown parts of the Berner-Sennen fur.

Oh, and the link:
http://oksne.net/wow/wendywow.html

Cheers,
Jostein