On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:02 AM, Dave wrote:

Will the methods described in this thread work for my purposes, or
will they only apply to the individual computer I'm working at?

They should work just fine, provided you set the file association using a Mac.

If you copy a file from a Windows PC it won't be tagged, so the Mac OS falls back on a default association using the extension (.html, .jpg, whatever). By default, Mac OS X associates untagged HTML files with Safari.

The biggest downside to the Mac way is that if you double-click on a file that was created on another Mac using an app you don't have, it won't open even if you have some other package that can read the file format. You have to use some other way of opening the file - eg "Open With". I've even had files try to start the Classic environment!

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/