My late father-in-law left me a pristine chrome Spotmatic II with a S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4 and a few accessories. The meter even works! I was checking some of the usual sites, but could find little information regarding which lenses to look for and which to avoid. I did read the 85 f1.8 is a great lens and Mike Johnston just wrote that the 35 f2 is pretty good, but that's about it. If you could point me to a site or have an opinion I would like to hear it. Thanks.

Jim

The SMC 35/3.5, a high definition low flare lens, is great for street photography or any other kind... It's rather common and cheap.

The 28mm (very common and cheap) and the 24mm (less common and more expensive) are both good lenses.

The 85/1.8 is indeed fabulous.

My personal favorite is the 100mm macro. It has good bokeh, which is not common for a macro lens (they say).

I've also liked the Pentax K 135mm f2.5, which is the same as SMC Takumar version 2. If you want to know how to distinguish version 2 from 1, write me off-list, I have the data not far.

Welcome to the Pentax family!

Andre