No, it's an easy exposure with conventional B&W film, and Frank had another
choice.  All y'do is expose for the shadows and cut back an appropriate
amount in the development, and the result is a great neg that's easy to
print or scan.  It's that old adage again:  expose for the shadows and
develop for the highlights.  If one doesn't have the time or the expertise
to learn this technique, and adjust one's exposure and process to specific
situations, then the simplest approach - admitedly a "one size fits all"
method - is to just set the camera meter to overexpose by a stop or a stop
and a half, shoot as one normally would, and then just cut back on the
development time about 25% or so.  Close enuf in most situations, and the
negs and prints will be substantially better.

For best results, burn a roll or two and establish an ideal EI and
development time for specific lighting situations and contrast ranges, and
use those. Oh, one must learn a bit about contrast range and film
lattitude, but really, it's not difficult.

Bright sunlight admitedly creates difficult shooting situations and
unpleasant, harsh results, but conventional B&W will allow all sorts of
adjustments in exposure and development ... one just has to apply a little
experience and forethought to the matter.

It is a shame that so many people have forgotten how to expose and process
film, or have never learned.  Too much reliance on the meter in the camera
rather than understanding light and film emulsions.  Too much dependence on
labs, color film, computer adjusted prints, and the "fix it in Photoshop"
mentality.  And then there are those who are dismissive of Ansel Adams'
Zone System.  That's a shame, for he has a lot to teach, and while some say
the Zone System is overly complicated, once one understands it, even only
in a general manner, their results can improve substantially.

Shel