Hi Amy,
Actually my "normal" of choice on 35 is the 50/1.7.
I've been playing with 28 and 35 on the D and tend to lean toward 35.
I would however go a little wider to get the speed and price of the Sigma
28/1.8.
Hopefully someone is familiar with this lens and will comment, the price
is the same as the FA 28/2.8 at 1+ stop faster.

Don (Who needs to decide how to spell "recommendations"!) ;-)