A friend of mine built a robot out of Lego Mindstorms specifically to
do this sort of panorama.
Would trip the shutter, rotate x degrees, trip shutter, lather rinse repeat.
I'll have to see if I can dig up some of the Quicktime VR movies he made with it
(he did a full spherical panorama at one point. Was tres cool.)

-Mat