On 1 May 2001, at 11:52, Ernest Alejandria wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Great photograph. "Copper Seas" should be the standard picture the British
> Columbia Board of Tourism ought to utilize in enticing visitors to your neck
> of the wood.
>
> I'm curious about the technical details you employed in taking this picture.
> i.e. shutter/apperture data and the time of day, dusk/dawn?/ when this
> photograph was taken.
>
> I have a trip planned to Lake Tahoe in the middle of May and I intend to
> take a lot of pictures of the waterline at twillight and early dawn. Not
> that I can hope to replicate even approaching the quality of your
> photograph, but I hope to use those data as a guide when taking my pictures.
> Thanks.
>
> Paulo Ernest

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the positive comments, I would love to see that
shot on all of the Beautiful-BC Magazines, etc (so would my
not-too-well-off P67II purchase fund!)

Tech Details, well, lets see.  I rarely record aperture/shutter
speeds when I'm in the field, I would say that this one was
around F8 - F11 at about 1/15 of a sec. or so.  The Z1p was
tripod-mounted (Manfrotto 055PRO/129 Head).  It was taken
at dusk while I was on my way home back to Vancouver from
Squamish, BC.  From looking at the print (which does look
stunning, BTW - It was done as a Fujichrome print from the
local pro lab in 11 x 14 and custom framed) - the colors in the
sunset were actually more beautiful than the scan - I love
Velvia.

The one weird thing I remember about this shot was that I didn't
have the polarizer that I normally use with the FA 28-70mm F4.
I grabbed the 77mm Hoya Polarizer from my camera bag,
held it up to the lens, and adjusted it from there, the shot was
taken with the polarizer held in front of the lens.

Cheers!
Brian