From: William Robb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 8:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M42 ultra-wide

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"

>I think the APS sized lens makes sense for one
> thing, the widest lenses, under 20mm. The reason
> is they would be much smaller and less expensive
> than ones designed to cover full frame 35mm and
> theretically they could also be sharper and more
> contrasty because far fewer elements would be
> needed to cover the APS angle vs, the full frame
> angle of the same focal length.

You might want to rethink that, based on products that are on the
shelves.

The DA 14mm f/2.8 offers APS sized coverage in a lens with 12
elements in 11 groups.
It takes a 77mm filter is 3.3 inches in diameter, 2.7 inches long,
and weighs 14.8 oz.

This lens has approximately the same angle of view as a 20mm lens has
on 35mm.

The FA 20mm f/2.8 has 10 elements in 9 groups, uses a 67mm filter is
1.73 inches long, 2.75 inches in diameter and weighs in at 9 oz.

The APS coverage lens is substantially larger and heavier, and has
more glass than it's equivalent lens coverage in full frame 35mm. I
realize this is one example only.

William Robb