More or less equivalent to 6x9cm?
Of course, please don't consider these as perfect matching figures, just
comparable size for the purpose the cameras are intended and the overall
quality they can give.
I won't adventure in computing perfect equivalence between film and digital,
as there are too many variables and different aspects to weigh, so anybody
can have a different result.

However, I believe that a practical following:
6-8 Mpix digital = 35mm film
11-12 Mpix digital = 645 film
16 Mpix digital = 6x6 film
22 Mpix digital = 6x9 film

I've been reported by a friend of mine working in the graphics industry (and
way more skilled than me) that he did a class on high-end digital
photography last week. Looks like current top-end digital backs doing 4 to
16 exposures each shot (special technique, I agree) can outperform well
large format film. You can shoot a room and then enlarge almost at your
leisure, enough for seeing fingerprints on a window glass.
Apparently, the current limit are the lenses, which cannot match the 300 lpm
a sensor can read. Large format lenses are 50 lpm at best, best medium
format lenses are somewhere around 70-80 lpm, while best digital APS lenses
(two Nikkors, I'm afraid) reach 150 lpm.

Dario