Was the HOYA regular (monocoated), HMC or HMC Super? I have found the HMC Super is much more flare resistance than HMC, though it is not better than w/o filter.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

I did a little test a few years ago using several f1.4 lenses (faster lenses
seem to amplify this problem). All of the tested lenses (2 from Pentax, 1
from Nikon) showed the ghost when the filter was applied and did not show
the ghost when the filter was removed. I did not have access to any Pentax
filters for the test, but the Nikon filter I used showed less ghost than the
Hoya filters. These are just my personal findings - I am not a certified
lens technician, nor do I play one on TV.