Good idea - why didn't I think about the obvious thing first?

Heres a little trick to see if a filter will vignette:
Look through the viewfinder and put a finger beside the lens. Move your finger forwards until you can see it in the viewfinder.
If there is less finger extended past the lens than the thickness of a filter, then a filter will vignette.
If more, then it won't.

There was a fair bit more finger than the thickness of a filter, so I'll get and buy a normal sized B+W MRC - additionally someone advised me against buying the slim version since these need a special lenscap.

thanks for the feedback.

Now hopefully the fog does lift so I can try the DA-14 at something else but gray clouds.

Sam