me too - at least the standard UV filter from B+W adds 4.5mm lenght to the lens.

Maybe he is referring to the slim version?

Sam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am surprised B+W filters are thinner than Pentax or HOYA, because from what I have seen so far, regular B+W filters are as thick as any filters can get. Regular Pentax filters are slightly thinner than regular HOYA, and I thought HOYA Pro1 is the thinnest of all (3mm with front thread).

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

The filter mount on the DA 14 flares out, which I suppose is to avoid vignetting with filters.

I don't think this lens vignettes with Pentax or Hoya filters. To be safe, though, I usually use B&W filters on wide angle lenses, or wide telezooms. The B&Ws are thinner, but still have outer rings.