I recieved a harsh criticism on my submission to the most recent
PUG.  Oh, it was politely phrased, but it was still harsh.  You
know what?  I'd still like to see the PUG commentaries continue.
I don't think we _need_ a formal system for comments and ciriticism,
but I'll say this:  it does make sure that every darned photo gets
talked about.  In the past, I've submitted photos that have gotten
praise and ones that have gotten no reaction at all.  It would have
been nice to have at least some idea what people thought of those.
(Not that I can really say much about lack of comments, given how
seldom I get around to posting my own reactions to others' work.
My intentions are good, but I seldom find time.  I've still got
some notes from the April PUG lying around...)

Well this way, I know I'll hear what at least one person thinks
about my submission.  And it's possible that the first critic's
comment will spur someone who disagrees to post in response (I'm
not thinking of my own photo here, but rather "Night Train", which
I may or may not get around to commenting on, but which I'm sure
I would _not_ have bothered to comment on were it not for the
discussion about it).

Worst case, I'll get a "What were you thinking?  You can do better
than this."  Next-to-worst case, I'll get, "That sucked, and here's
how you could have fixed it."  Either of those can be useful, though
uncomfortable.  Best case, of course, is that I post some masterpiece
that everyone would have talked about anyhow (I can dream), but
somewhere in the middle are the comments that reassure me I did
something right and maybe suggest a few things to work on, on
photos that would otherwise have been overlooked simply because
other photos outshone them and got more attention.

                                        -- Glenn