Hello Jens,

It is a very useful feature in a few instances - an example: following
the action in a soccer game - you keep you finger half depressed while
the focus is maintained - at the right moment of action, you press the
rest of the way down and bang! you got the shot.  If you had to rely
on the whole sequence of pressing halfway down, letting it focus, and
then fire the shutter when you see the moment, you will miss it.

This, coming from a died in the wool manual focus shooter.  There are
a few instances where continuous focus is useful - not many, but it
does have it's moments.

I think that the way that the DS implements continuous focus is weak -
at best.  Of course, this is how Pentax has always been.  Continous
focus is a feature of the higher end bodies.

>From what I remember, the Rebel Digital does about the same thing -
not directly selectable, but part of one of the programs - probably to
compete on a checklist with the Canon.

Unfortunately, I can see just as many times when the action program
with single AF would be just as valid.

--
Best regards,
Bruce