Is that in all of North America, Frank?

keith

frank theriault wrote:

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:01:41 -0500, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

Actually, Lisa and I have lived together long enough that we might
actually be considered married under common law. In some places. Don't
know about Pennsylvania.

Technically, she's my Personal Pathologist and Fashion Consultant :)

Common law marriage no longer exists.  Marriage Statutes, which were
proclaimed into law in the late 1800's in most jurisdictions, all
specifically abolished Common Law marriage, so that only marriage
sanctioned by the state was legal marriage.

In the 60's and 70's, the term common law marriage was more or less
revived as a way of saying "we consider ourselves married, and act
just like a married couple, but this union hasn't been sanctioned by
the state".  This clearly harkened back to the days prior to Marriage
Statutes, when, depending on the jurisdiction, judges would ex post
facto declare a marriage to be a legal one if (for instance) the
couple lived together for a number of years, had a child together,
etc, etc.  Problem is, the "rules" for common law marriage varied so
much from court district to court district, it was hard to know
whether one was married or not.  What if a couple who'd been living
together for 4 years in a district where they had a three year rule,
then moved to a district where there was a 5 year rule?  Were they
"unmarried" for a year?  So, for national certainty, Marriage Statutes
made sense.

What we think of today as "common law marriage", really means nothing
more than "we've been cohabiting for a period of time, or under such
conditions that the State has said that one or both of us have
acquired certain rights or responsibilities WRT  monetary support or
division of property should we separate".  The term common law
marriage is a colloquial one that currently has no basis at law.

cheers,
frank