Rob Studdert indicated I should be using a Crosspoint screwdriver to get
the screws out of my defective lens.  After asking for an explanation of
the difference between JIS Crosspoint and Phillips I did an extensive net
search and finally found the following information at
http://www.pierfishing.com/tackle_tips/9911.html

The Cross-Point Screwdriver

Most currently manufactured reels use crosspoint screws. While they may
look like what most people and screwdriver manufacturers like to call
Phillips screws, they are different. The crosspoint screws are 58 degrees
and have a blunt point, while the Phillips screws have an angle of 55
degrees and are more pointed at the tip. Most screws now used, either for
reels or in your home are cross-point screws. A Phillips screwdriver does
not properly fit a crosspoint screw. Most American made screwdrivers sold
to fit these screws are designed for Phillips screws. (Go Figure)

Using an unmodified Phillips screwdriver, the ones commonly found at your
local hardware store, will cause you to have difficulty because the
screwdriver taper is longer than the taper of the screw. You must use a
bigger Phillips screwdriver to fit the crosspoint screw. The improper size
of Phillips screwdriver will cause the points of the blade to override the
grooves on the screw and ruin the head.

Since you cannot conveniently buy a crosspoint screwdriver, one
modification that can be made to a Phillips screwdriver is to grind off the
tip of the blade thereby shortening the taper.

Powell Hargrave        Nanaimo,  B.C.  Canada
Digital Imaging   http://members.shaw.ca/hargravep