On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:34:26 +1100, Leon Altoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's time for another picture from me.  This one is digitally
> manipulated, and similar to one I've done before, but here it is.
>
> http://www.bluering.org.au/leon/feature.htm
>
> Comments welcome.
>
>  Leon
>
> http://www.bluering.org.au
> http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Just for a change, I looked at the other comments before doing mine.

First, I do like the composition.  The fact that the big rock's dead
centre doesn't bother me - I like the curve of the coastline (or at
least the way it's depicted, with only the bottom and top visible.
The pattern of the waves is interesting - between the coast on the
left and the waves, there's enough tension in the photo for me.

I'm not sure the colour/b&w mix is my bag.  Other than the big rock,
the rest of the photo (the b&w part) is very dark, which is fine,
since it looks like it was a dark, miserable day.  Having the rock
brighter is a good idea - I think that if it was a b&w print, I'd want
to dodge it big time, so that it contrasts the rest of the photo -
those nice horizontal patterns would stand out nicely.

Your sort of did that (in terms of the brightness of the rock, which
is about right, IMHO), but I just find the colour/b&w mix a bit, I
don't know, contrived and gimmicky.  That's not a comment on your
photo or your choice of how to present it, but rather a comment on me
and my tastes, I'm afraid.

cheers,
frank