While those with problems are vocal because they need help or to vent, those
without don't comment as much (probably so as not to sound like they're
gushing) because they don't really have to. I was unfortunate to have 2 ist
D related problems, the first a backfocus issue with the Sigma 28-70 2.8 DF.
While this is terribly annoying, it's not just a Pentax thing. Some C***n
users have noticed backfocusing problems using the 20D with the 17-40L lens
even. The N***n D70 was on the list too.. The problem really annoyed me when
I discovered it because it was shooting 300 or so frames of the Aussie
Olympians in a tickertape parade, and I only discovered the focus problems
when I downloaded the images (on the LCD they looked fine!). I guess you
could call that a loss of images.

The other problem was regarding the battery grip. While the power was from
the grip, connecting it to my laptop would produce a 'battery depleted'
message.

If you're thinking of it as a supplementary system, and if you've got boxes
of Pentax glass, and are ready to put in the effort to ensure you don't get
a lemon, I'd say go for it. There are listers who constantly produce
wonderful work with their ist D's. On the other hand, if you're only 20%
convinced, I'd suggest crossing your fingers Pentax have something planned
for next Photokina :-)

Cheers,
Ryan