Assuming that you are shooting in the same lighting conditions,
double up on your pictures by shooting one using the Sunny 16
rule and another using the meter.  The Sunny 16 rule is pretty
accurate.  The film makers used to always recommend it (perhaps
paraphrased a bit) when they were still including instruction
sheets with each roll of film.  Also, if the distances are not
enormous, you could use a bit of fill flash to open up the
shadows.  Sometimes it takes a "mojo" flash to do that, though.
:-)

Len
---