On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 03:09:25 -0800, Keith Whaley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The explanation makes the photo, in truth.
> I know there's a lot of commentary to the contrary, but there simply are
> some photos that benefit from a little help.

I was going to mention the "explanation" at the first post, but then I
remembered a few people mentioning that people talk too much when they
post PAW's, and that they should just post the pic with few words.
Maybe this one's the exception...

> Near brings tears to your eyes, it does!  <g>

It does indeed.  Needs a paint job, and then it'll look even prettier
than it does now - although there's something to be said for the scars
of a working bike <g>.

> > thanks again,
> > frank
>
> No, just kidding, Frank. Nice machine. Somehow it just looks 'nimble...'
> Is it?

I know it's pretty hard to see in that photo, from that perspective,
but it's not especially steep geometry (don't ask me for the head tube
and seat tube angles - I have no idea what mine are, and what's steep
and what's relaxed - I'm just not that type of gear-head <g>).  My
prior track bike, a Cyclops custom made here in Toronto had pretty
steep geometry - pretty much the current stuff that they're using on
tracks these days.  My Rossin is a bit slacker;  the wheelbase is
about 1 inch longer, which is pretty significant.  I'm told that my
current geometry is traditional "six day" geometry.  Since in the old
six day velodrome races (which were real popular in the 20's and 30's)
they were on the bikes for (yes) six days, they were built for comfort
over handling.  So, mine is about 1/2 way between current track and
steep road frames.

So, to answer your question, yes it's nimble, but not twitchy (my old
Cyclops was twitchy - so much so that it could be a handful at times,
but it was great in traffic).  This one is much more comfortable
(despite that fat aluminium frame), but is far more nimble than a road
bike.  It's a really nice compromise for a city courier bike - as I
found out when I road it to Kingston about 280 km away, it's ~not~ the
bike for a long ride!  <g>

Aren't you glad I asked?  <vbg>

cheers,
frank