The plate on top that usually has a couple of leaf springs attached covers up two, (usually), screws. You can just
remove the plate and unscrew the shoe. No need for the grinder.

Bill Lawlor wrote:

Thanks to all who shared opinions about hot shoes. I own more than 20
cameras but have never purchased a new one with or without the hot shoe
cover. Maybe I will just remove the offending item with my bench graider and
cover up the damage with epoxy putty. That can't be any worse than the old
Canon FT /55/1.2 I have that was urtterly mutilated by U.S. Customs
guardians of  "intellectual property rights".

Bill Lawlor

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke