Sam Jost mused:

> Yup, some just have too much money. This had been a question in a local
> pentax forum a few days ago, too, someone who asked if the *istD could not
> show a live preview.

Indeed.   I'm sure it's going to be a common question from first-time
DSLR purchasers, especially if they are upgrading from a digital P&S.

I don't think it's a particularly stupid question - you need to know
a great deal about the internal implementation detail of a DSLR before
you even know how (let alone why) this capability is rendered impossible.

I think sneering at the purchaser, or dismissing him as having more money
than sense, says rather more about the disparager than about the customer.
I suspect I'm probably among the more technically oriented in this group,
but when I first played with a DSLR (a Nikon D1, back when they were new)
I wondered why it still made noises as though it had a shutter.

> He accepted it ok, the really sad thing was: his dealer told him it could
> show a live display.

Unfortunately you can't really believe most sales staff.  It's usually just
ignorance, but there are still some commisson-based product pushers with
rather elastic morals (around here they seem to end up working for Frys :-)