To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:17 PM
Subject: Re: Home Computer Prediction From 1954

William Robb mused:

When I was in grade 8, which would have been 1970, I guess, the
university installed a punch card terminal in my high school and all
of a sudden, we had a computer science program.
We did our little programs in basic, and the bundles of cards were
sent off to be run through the computer. The next day, we got back
tractor feed sheets of our work.
Grade 9 we graduated to Fortran.

Beat you by around five years; I got to use a Stantec Zebra on a summer "Numerical Methods, Statistics & Computing" course.

We didn't use no wimpy high-level languages - programming was in
autocode.  It's amazing what you can do if nobody tells you that
it's supposed to be difficult :-)

By 1970 I was using an Atlas and a 360/44, amongst other systems.

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke