Still not entirely honest though you made a better effort than most of the Digital vs Film
testers who get published. I think the additional fine detail you see is an artifact of the
sharpening process. Still the difference in cost per. print, and the rough equivalence of
output is a powerful argument for the digital camera.

Gianfranco Irlanda wrote:

William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Subject: Re: P67 vs D1s -- photo.net

He should have chosen the EF50/1.7 and the SMCP 105/2.4 for

his test.

And he should have gotten a high end optical print made from

the

film, rather than a scan.

Hi everybody,

About this topic, I performed a film vs. digital test while in
Prague.
I shot the same scene with both the LX and the *istD, using the
M 20/4, set at infinity, planning to do a optical print from the
slide film (a Fuji Provia 100F) and a digital (still from a wet
process, though) print from the *istD file. I made a 30x45cm
(12x18'') print from the slide and a 20x30cm (8x12'') from the
*istD file, to have the same magnification and thus comparable
details on the two final prints.
Last step was a couple of 600dpi scans of the buildings (note
that the details are quite small compared to the actual print).
The pictures shown are 100% crops of those details:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=137823

I tried to reduce the differences in the colours of the two (the
original *istD file - and print - was a bit more yellowish), to
better show the differences in grain and resolution. The *istD
file had also been modified with a slight sharpening and
darkened (still in order to match more the slide) before
printing.
From what I can see, the *istD image shows a little more fine
details, although there is a certain loss in the saturation of
some colours (the slide was quite dark compared to the digital
picture, so it may have preserved better the colours in the
highlights of the scene).
The print from the slide costed me 18 Euros (what is that now,
US$ 23, right?) and the (smaller) print from the file 2 Euros. A
30x45cm print from the file (that I made anyway, with good
results) was 5 Euros (US$ 6.50).
What do you think?

Ciao,

Gianfranco