Hello Steve,

I use a product called VideoStudio from Ulead - only for PC's.  Also,
Adobe has release Premiere Elements as a competitor to VideoStudio -
both cost about $100 and allow you to work with a timeline.

One big question is what your output is going to be.  Are you only
playing back on the computer you created on?  Are you wanting to
create a playable DVD?  Do you want the transitions to be dependent on
the video hardware they are running on or independent like a movie?

After years of playing with programs to create slideshows, I finally
found that it is best and easiest to create an actual movie using
stills and transitions.  So both the above mentioned programs let you
drop images into the timeline and set the length of display, frame by
frame.  They also let you put in audio tracks for music along with
titling, etc.  On top of that, they actually work with video, too!
Lastly, they render a dvd quality mpeg movie that can be burned to dvd
and played back at without regard to hardware issues.

HTH,

Bruce