I could only imagine it was either the motor, or some worn parts like shaft or gears etc. Never open mine to see what it looks like, sorry. But it doesn't sound expensive to fix, for the parts at least (labour ecxlude). :-(

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Out of the blue, my much-used PZ-1 has started making
an ugly grinding noise when the film winds after an
exposure.  Actually, it makes the noise whether there
is film in the camera or not.  It sounds as though it
is coming from behind and a bit below the shutter
release.  Rewind sounds normal.

Any ideas what this might be and what it might cost to
fix it?