Interesting. In theory the DOF is about 1/3 in front of the object and 2/3's behind it which looks about what you are getting.

BUT at macro distances, which this photo is, it is supposed to be about 50/50. Obviously you are not getting a 50/50 DOF in this photo. It may simply be the design of the lens. Is is an internal focus macro by any chance? Those focus by zooming and do not work exactly like a normal lens.

I do not think from what I am seeing that there is a problem with your lens or camera. It is just a need to use a little more advanced focusing technique than you currently are.

What I would suggest is try to focus at the farthest point you want sharp then focus at the nearest noting the distance in both cases, then set the focus by the scale at the point 1/3 of the way past the near point. Try that and see if it works for you. If you have a decent DOF scale on the lens you can set the f-stop so that the near and far point are the the ones you selected. Of course as you already know you are not going to have a lot of DOF at the distance you are shooting so you have make the best of it you can.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Amy Hughes wrote:
Amy, what focusing mode are you using?

I'm having this problem with manual focus, hence my temptation to
believe it's my fault. I don't know if it's also a problem with
autofocus because I don't use autofocus.

What I am finding fairly often is that the "acceptable focus" covers
from the point I focus and a bit beyond, when what I'd expect it to
cover is the point I focus plus/minus.

Here's an example, though it'll be difficult to judge after
resizing/compressing...

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/conventions/IceCreamShop/IMGP0351sm.jpg

I was focusing on the front of the building, right under the awning.
It's pretty well focused front to back, all along the side, but the
figure standing right in front of it isn't. The guy in the blue overalls
is in focus, the guy in red isn't.

To test if I was still capable of focusing a camera I shot a narrow DOF
picture of a piece of graph paper on an angle, and the line I focused on
was properly focused. So I'm capable and the camera is capable, but I
haven't figured out why so many of my shots aren't properly focused.

When I shot jewelry the fabric I used as a backdrop was perfectly
focused and the piece I was shooting wasn't. Repeatedly.

Amy