As I perviously wrote, one method could be to fire a flash throug a slot in
a rotating (very high speed) disc, onto a photo sensitive material and later
measure the size of the exposed area/distance. To use slower speeds, the
slut could be replace by a pinhole, that is moving from the centre to the
edge of the disc (or vise versa) during "exposure". The light would then
draw a spiral, that could be measured, on the disc. This is perhaps a little
complicated to make.

Annother and perhaps better and easier solution to this probnlem, is to fire
a flash directly into the lens of an SLR, using a high shutterspeed. Perhaps
1/6000 sec. The slut in the shutter will travel across the frame in perhaps
1/150 second. The fraction of the exposed frame will indicate how long the
flash has lasted. The flash cannot expose the whole frame, unless the slot
is 36mm wide (for instance it is at 1/150 on the *ist D). And it won't be,
at speeds faster than 1/150 sec. Of course you need to know how just wide
the "travelling slut" is, at certain shutter speeds. This test method cannot
be to hard to carry out. All you need is a SLR/DSLR and a PC cord for the
flash you want to test. And a little knowledge about how your camera works.
I guess TTL is not an option in this case. Niether is "trailing curtain"
sync, naturally. :-)

Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt