The build of the A 35-70 may seem a little plastic,
but mine, hard used, has not shown any tendency to creep.
The focus feels less damped than an older prime, but
it is consistent in feel and not at all bad.  As to
image quality, I find it quite acceptable (wide open) to
good at 8x10.

Juan Buhler wrote:

Hi list,

I'm looking to replace my separated FA28-70/4. I was looking at an A
35-70/4, which seems to have nice comments in Stan Haplin's lens
comments page. Now, I could always get another FA28-70, which I know
is a sharp zoom when the glass is OK.

The question is: how do these two lenses compare?  I don't care about
AF, since my istD is usually set to manual anyway. Actually, I
probably prefer the focus feel of an A lens over an FA. The 35-70
seems bigger than the 28-70, is the difference very noticeably? How is
it optically?