After the discussion the other day about tablets I remembered that our industrial designer at work had a 12x12" Intuos2 gathering dust under his desk.

He let me borrow it to take home, and I'm pleased to report that it is much less susceptible to interference than my Intuos 4x5. I get a little bit of "wobble" if I hold it right up to the screen, and this totally disappears when the tablet is only a few inches away (compared with about 12" spacing needed for the old tablet).

If "single mode" is enabled in the driver the pointer does not wobble even if the tablet is right next to the screen.

The Intuos2 pen is slightly more comfortable to hold - I find my hand to be a little more relaxed when holding it.

At the moment I'm trying to choose between the following:
1) try and buy this tablet off the company
2) buy an Intuos3 6x8"
3) buy an Intuos3 12x9"

I'm leaning towards buying a brand new tablet as I could see the touch-panels of the Intuos3 series being useful for panning/zooming in Photoshop (has anyone used one of these?).

This weekend I plan to play a bit with the big tablet: limit the active area in the driver to 6x8" and 12x9" and see if either of those sizes works better for me. The good thing about a bigger tablet is that it allows me to maintain tight control of the pointer over my entire 3200x1200 pixel desktop. I found I needed to limit the smaller tablet to about 1900x1200 so I needed the mouse to reach a few things with the window layout I use.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/