On 12 Dec 2004 at 18:19, Chris Niesmertelny wrote:

> I broke out some non-A lenses to play with on the *ist D today and ran them
> thru
> some exposure tests.  When pressing the green button in moderate to good
> light,
> it seems to be giving accurate exposures when the lens is stopped to f5 or
> larger.  When stopped down further than this, it often actually shortens the
> time value, significantly underexposing the image.  It seems to give only
> accurate readings when the time value is .3 seconds or shorter; anything where
> the actual exposure should be longer than this will not be exposed correctly
> by
> the camera, and in fact it will not set a time value slower than 1.5 seconds
> when even common sense indicates it should be a 3 or more second exposure.
> Has
> anyone else suffered this problem?  I've done the basic stuff, checked the
> lens
> for defects (used all my non-A lenses, for example), cleaned the contacts on
> the
> camera, checked the program function.  It's maddening.  Any feedback would be
> appreciated.  I'm dreading sending this off to service.  Perhaps I've
> forgotten
> something in the operation?

Two things to consider, firstly you have to be working within the cameras
metering sensitivity, working with stop-down metering vs open aperture limits
the range somewhat. Secondly when metering in stop down mode light entering at
the finder may cause a significant effect on metering.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998