On Dec 13, 2004, at 9:42 PM, Fred Widall wrote:

I'm guessing they are some kind of chromatic aberration due to cheap
kit lens &/or related to the fact I was shooting at 1600 ASA, but I
thought someone could give me a definitive answer.  It only happened
on four images, all taken at same settings, in same light and from the
same spot.

I'm no expert, but I've seen stripes like that before on my wife's Canon A60. I think it's an electronic problem, rather than optic. You ought to take the camera back, and have it looked at/replaced. That's my opinion.
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland