Jon,
I drove in from Chicago for my 1st GFM last year - 2 days in.
My wife and I enjoyed the seminars (she is a non-photographer).
The scenery is special and the people are extraordinary, both Pentax & hosts.
We met the notorious members of the list, and the less vocal folks.
We met friends from across the seas, Canadians, Californians, Texans,
and east coast locals.  They were even nicer than their email
personas.
There was every kind of Pentax equipment - 35mm, digital, 645, 6x7.
Plus Don the Pentax rep. was there with stuff to try.
The group shared experiences and tricks and tips on operating equipment.
(There is nothing like seeing a personal demo from an experienced user!)
I'm planning to go again this year, although I may fly into Charlotte.
I'd recommend it highly.  Lots of nice fellowship and learnings to share.
Regards,  Bob S.