On Saturday 18 December 2004 19:12, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> I have gotten my wife an Optio S40. This thing is tiny. I was expecting
> something the size of a 35 mm. point-and-shoot. She'll be able to leave
> this in her purse and have it everywhere.

...which means she won't pull it out.  ever!

> She has my old ZX 50, but hasn't been carrying it on travels because she
> thinks it's too big and heavy (!). So last spring she had a chance to
> drive across Canada, and went and bought a crummy Fuji disposable.
> Somewhere in Alberta she saw a white buffalo, so of course it is just a
> white speck on the crummy negative. Then this fall she spent a week in
> England and did the same thing. That was the last straw. I had to get
> her a decent, small camera.

Was she ever really interested in photography--or, rather, was she ever
interested enough to think very much about photography?  If not, then I doubt
even the best device would get her any more interested.

Enthusiasm may be infectious, but many people are immune--lots of people
bought SLRs in the '70s, and now those are finding their way onto the used
market in droves.  Most people want photography like George Eastman saw it:
"You push the button--we do the rest" and really aren't that bothered about
equipment or technique.

oh well.

The Optio S series is great.  I wonder why they named such a small camera
after a junior rank in the ancient Roman army though...

-Luigi
eagerly awaiting the Pentax Decurion and Centurion