Ok, so I seem like an idiot for answering my own email.  I just eraser
cleaned the contact in the battery compartment and the battery holder
and then gently bent the battery compartment contact up a bit.  Now it
seems to be working fine again.  Not sure whether it was weak contact
or dirty contacts, but it seems fine again.  Hopefully for some time
to come.

I have to say that she was amazed at the difference in the viewfinder
of the MX compared to her film *ist.  Like night and day.

Bruce