Like I said, it was a very poor neighborhood.  The doctor couldn't even
afford to sterilize his instruments.  In the morning he'd take 'em down to
YMCA steam room.   It was so poor that the women took in laundry and kept
it.  The art museum was a painted turtle. Our Baskin Robbins only had one
flavor. And it was a tough neighborhood as well. The most common form of
transportation was a stretcher.  The guys used to carry chewed off
shotguns.  When you made out your weekly budget you always included a few
dollars for mugging!Apartment rental ads read "Only a short run to the
subway."  There wasn't even a bank.  At Christmas the loan sharks gave out
calendars.

Shel