Still the second is amazingly good for such a huge exposure mistake.

Juan Buhler wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:24:27 -0500, frank theriault
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/2085193/

What a cool shot!!

So, what do you do, open for a fairly long exposure, hoping to get
illumination from another camera?

Tell me how you do that!

I really like the photo, too.Great pose (especially him), and I like
the framing, with the rail and design of the wall in the background.
The more I look at this, the more I find to like.

Thanks Frank!

Yes, basically, I wait until someone is about to take a picture. In
this case I set the camera at ISO 400, 0.5s f/8, (kind of guessed
based on the distance between the subjects and the other
photographer), and just pressed the shutter a beat before him. It is
easy if the other camera has a red eye reducing preflash, otherwise
just hope for the best, or ask them to count to three if you know them
:-)

Funny that you comment on this image now, I just came back from
shooting, and I was hanging out near the big christmas tree in Union
Square here in San Francisco, trying to steal other people's flashes.

Here is the only somewhat successful frame, out of about 15:

http://www.jbuhler.com/blog/archives/00000152.html

A not as successful one, because I forgot to go back to ISO200 from ISO3200:

http://img142.exs.cx/img142/4360/imgp13752pt.jpg
[hosted as imageshack, as it is a throwaway pretty much]

Cheers,

I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke