Frank Theriault writes:

> Anyone seen N****'s latest tv ad for their (I can't remember which)
> lower-end slr?  "The slr for people who are afraid of slr's", or
> something to that effect.  They're marketing it as an up-scale p&s.

 If you want a real up-scale P&S... I saw a Fuji 6x4.5 point-n-shoot
yesterday.  It had a built-in zoom lens, like an overgrown compact camera
that shoots onto 120.

> And, just wait until digital becomes affordable!  Once they start
> marketing $100 digital cameras (even if the quality of the images is
> crap), watch the availability of film drop.

 Basically it's a sign that people are prepared to trade off quality for
convenience and a perceived (or real) cost-saving, at least in the short term
("we'll have double the resolution in 6 months time..." ... if you buy a new
digicam that is, so all that money you saved on film you spend twice over on
new cameras).

 The down-side is that tasteful people such as ourselves, who want that extra
quality, have to pay more due to a diminishing general economy for our
equipment and consumables.

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield