Well I finished that first roll of Classic Pan 400 35mm B&W from J&C Photo that I had in the camera yesterday. It has been years since I have developed any 35mm. I had a choice of an old stainless steel reel and tank, or a Koday Day-Load Tank that I had bought used a few years ago an never gotten around to trying out.

Not wanting to wait until after dark, I decided to use the Day-Load Tank. It having been a long long time since I had used one of those, I practiced loading an unexposed roll of film in it. No problem. So I put the exposed film in and it wound a couple of turns and locked up. I tried this and that, and then heard the film tear. Crap! I open it up and the film comes out in a knoted up mess. Double crap!

So, what was on this roll of film? Oh some test shots. The first snow a couple of weeks ago. A tracked vehicle that I could not identify, so took some pictures of. And the "Christmas Ghost Town of Boone" photos I took yesterday.

The test shots can be redone. The snow will most likely happen again. The vehicle belonged to an out of town construction company, and I will probably never see one like it again. Next Christmas is only a year away; of course things may change a lot by then.

I guess all that just goes to show that you should never experiment with important photos.

The other roll of Classic Pan 400 gets nothing but test shots on it and it gets developed in the stainless steel reel (of course I haven't used one of those in decades either). So maybe I can find out is I like this cheap film or not. One thing I can already tell is the film base is very thin and not very strong at all.

I had tried to find a copy of the instrstuction manual for the Day-Load Tank, but all I could come up with are months old eBay listings. Because of that I was already angery when I started, which did not help (grin). I can think of nothing more useless than an expired auction listing. Besides that the auctions all have their own search engines. Does anyone know of a way to make internet search engines ignor eBay and other auction listings?

I can remember when an internet search got you something besides "buy something" ads. Must be getting old.

--

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com