regarding mangroves in Bangladesh:

The name of the area I was thinking of is the Sundarbans. It's a Natural World
Heritage area.
http://www.the-south-asian.com/Nov2002/Sundarbans.htm

It'll sift the power out of a tsunami easily. :-)

Hopefully, none of the oil installastions off the coast of Bangladesh went leaky
from the quake. Apparently it was at about 7 on Richter's even in Bangladesh.

Jostein